Animal Friends of Washington County hosted the First Annual Carnival at the Dog Park on June 7th. The event was a wonderful success with over 300 people enjoying the demonstrations, exhibitors, food and fun.
- Brenham Police Department’s own K-9 police dogs (Ronny & Sammy) wowed everyone with their zeal for “taking down the bad guy” (Lance Weiss). K-9 handlers, Seth Klehm and Mark Pierce, explained to the crowds how their police dogs were trained and work together with their human counterparts to fight crime.
- Brenham Police Department Citizens on Patrol (COP) fingerprinted children and discussed how each person can help be a critical part of a safe community.
- The Texas Reptile & Hospice Sanctuary was a big hit with their collection of reptiles and snakes. Additionally, their tortoise wandered the Carnival for people to meet.
- True Blue Animal Rescue (T-Bar) and the Brenham Humane Society had dogs, puppies, cats and kittens available for adoption (and were successful in finding new families for many of these cuties). T-Bar also had lots of activities for children along with teaching humans and their dogs agility tricks.
- Fun was had by all in learning the art of roping, as Miracle Farms taught the proper techniques with “Bones” the perfect roping bull.
- Young and older participants got into the saddle of a Faske’s Longhorn for that perfect picture.
- Hana Shoup provided so many quick draws of pets that her hand is still recuperating.
- 1st Step Dog Training owner Alex Aldama was on hand to respond to questions on dog training and giving tips to owners on issues they encounter with their pets.
- Animal Friends Clinic staff manned a table with all kinds of great information to educate pet owners on the extensive capabilities the Clinic has to offer regarding wellness and treatment of dogs, cats and even rabbits (vaccinations, heartworm treatments, flea/tick treatments).
- Washington County Citizens on Patrol (COP) assisted with traffic and parking and explained to visitors their role in making our community safe.
- Brenham Portrait Gallery (Scott Hill) took photos of animals and their humans as well as wonderful candid photos of the event. Information will be shared soon for you to access the photos.
Hot dogs and cold drinks were a tremendous hit followed by Blue Bell ice cream and fruit bars, with our own special popcorn lady, Lynda, dishing out bags of popcorn.
Lastly, a huge thank you to all of the volunteers and visitors that helped make this day a great success. Plans are already being discussed for our next Carnival at the Dog Park.